This is about me and my life and my thoughts and my whims and well u'll see :D

Tadaaaaaaaaaa............................

For the people looking for some useful piece of information or anything remotely related to the word useful, should leave immediately, as this blog comprises of useless and arbit pieces of things which merge together and make my life :D

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The language barrier??

Today was a real high pitched morning.
But well after listening to a lot of junoon I have finally been able to come out of the bitter barn and currently playing in hay (this is the effect of watching too much phoebe in friends, I really like).
Anyways it all started with me being really pissed with my maid for not cleaning the house at all (leave alone properly or nicely or nay such words).
I miss her everyday owing to either me getting up late or she coming late or something or the other, basically mismatch of timing.
So when I finally got hold of her today I just burst out on her yelling bout the whole cleaning thing, which she out rightly denied and said she is doing it.
Had it being any other occasion I would have just said this and stopped there but today she was lying blatantly (not that I don’t lie or am against lying or anything but it was just so evident) which just totally pissed me off.
It was just too much I just started shouting at her and she did the same the only thing was that I couldn’t get a word of what she was saying and (hopefully) she was also not getting anything that I was shouting at the top of my voice.
We were so loud that the guys living above us, on third floor (we are on first floor) raised the volume of their songs real high (which they only do on Fridays).
Finally she did the whole thing with a lot of blabbering to herself and shouting at me, which I totally ignored (there was no other way), and left.
After she left I too got ready and moved for my office, for which I took an auto, I told him where I had to go and he said fine.
Then he asked me for directions in kanadda of course which I got owing to the fact that it’s been 4 years since I shifted to Bangalore and I do get a little bit of kannada sprinkled with English here and there.
Then when I finally got to my office, he started off about how he will have to go without any passenger and all that.
But he obviously was talking in kanadda so I didn’t bother saying anything to him and left after paying him.
But the thing that struck me was that how people just ignore the thing they don’t wanna hear (I do that too).
But after you come to a city, whose native language is different from your mother tongue, it becomes especially tough.
I mean people start ignoring you as if you don’t exist (which my maid does very frequently, I become the superwoman with the power of invisibility), they treat you as if you a Martian and its no point talking to you.
Also I have realized how much resentment is there in this city against the people who do not belong to this city and this resentment comes in these forms.
They charge you more; they try to fool you in every possible way.
Your fault "YOU DONT BELONG HERE".
One day when I was coming with my friend(who knows kannada) in an auto that guys over something started saying that you guys come here in land earn money from our city, sit in front of computer, what do u know how tough life is for the poor.
I can understand his resentment, owing to shape Bangalore has taken in the last ten years, but still, is it the fault of the people who are trying to make a living in an unknown city, who leave the comfort of their home and come to this city where they have to fight every day with the boss, with the subordinate with the colleagues, bear all the office politics, bear everything goes on , bear any partiality done in and around their office and come back in an auto who tries to take him for a ride (literally),bear his blah blah when he starts off with his tantrums (specially with girls), face the traffic and the people who learnt driving in a park and think they still are driving in the same park and they can turn anywhere they want, and finally reach home to find there is no water or something else is broken and finally make Maggie eat it and sleep.

And these poor chaps are blamed for all the price rise and inflation that the city suffers from.
I somehow don't feel so I think these guys are the ones who are suffering the most.
They don’t know the language, they have a problem in everything right from renting a house to buying vegetables to commuting everyday and even dealing with the police (my roomy had to pay the police just in order to lodge a complain of mobile theft) despite of the fact that they pay all the tax possible (road tax, service tax, income tax, u name it we have got it) and still we are treated as the step children of this city.
Why aren’t we treated the same when they are expecting the same from us???

Anyways nothing would change, we would be treated the same and we would face the same language problem that we always do, its just that this doesn’t seem to be fair equation, as the left hand side does not equate to the right hand side.

No comments: